I was in IBM GTS labs which became a new standalone company, Kyndryl few days after I left the parent company IBM.
The project I was working on was an AIOps project.
Specifically, AIOps uses big data, analytics, and machine learning capabilities to do the following:
- Collect and aggregate the huge and ever-increasing volumes of operations data generated by multiple IT infrastructure components, applications, and performance-monitoring tools
- Intelligently sift ‘signals’ out of the ‘noise’ to identify significant events and patterns related to system performance and availability issues.
- Diagnose root causes and report them to IT for rapid response and remediation—or, in some cases, automatically resolve these issues without human intervention.
source: IBM Cloud Learn
What I did
I worked on it in two phases. In the first phase, I worked as AI Solutions and Transformations Engineer and later as a squad leader.
AI Solutions and Transformations Engineer
- Interacted with multiple teams to gather their product architectures and pain points and broke down complex products into simplified charts to deeply understand concerned stakeholders.
- Picked the technology stack and architecture from multiple similar products to merge them into a robust product with a single pane of truth.
- Planned many pain points in the IT Ops world using bleeding-edge tools and technologies and addressed many exciting use cases using Big Data and Machine Learning technologies.
- Designed and Proposed multiple transformation options for a unified (real-time + batch) ingestion and analytics framework for high-volume batch and real-time data analytics, providing end-to-end capabilities.
- Used Apache Spark for separate and unified data processing by merging real-time and batch data streams.
- Prepared the product roadmap along with senior architects.
- Programming languages: Python, Scala
- Databases: MongoDB, IBM DB2, IBM Datastage
- Tools used: Git, Elasticsearch, Apache Spark, Apache Nifi, IBM SPSS modeler
- Other Skills: Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing
AIOps MultiTenancy/Platform squad lead.
- I was building the Multi-Tenant core AIOps platform for IBM GTS Labs. I led a team of 2 mid-level developers, 1 senior developer, and 1 QA associate.
- Implemented Multi-Tenant architecture across different data forms on the AIOps Multi-Cloud platform
- Implemented user authorization in Kibana and integrated with the parent application MCMP for user authentication by OpenID 2.0
- Got extensive knowledge of Elasticsearch roles, role mapping, authorization, and authentication.
- Implemented a Consumption-based (pay-as-you-go) pricing model for clients, enabling the pay-as-you-go model.
- Implemented multiple editions, enabling clients to use different lighter versions as per their use cases before committing fully to the product.
- Programming languages: Python, Go, Shell script
- Frontend knowledge: NodeJS, AngularJS
- Databases: MongoDB, IBM DB2, Rabbit MQ
- Tools used: Git, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash
“Soumendra, one of only two engineers working on the Console Full Scope Search IPF ADP, helped pioneer the practical use of ELK in ITC/AIOps. Just a few months after that, ELK rapidly grew in prominence, and he played a central role in the ELKification of the Data Center Visibility of the ITC/AIOps Console. Thank you for all your contributions!”— Management
“Soumendra, I appreciate all the work he led for AIOps 2.0 global release. He has made a difference. Way to go !”— Management
“Not everyone comes forward whenever their team needs them, but Soumendra has always been there for us every time we needed you. Soumendra has my respect and admiration. Thank you for all your support. Cheers..!!”— Mentee
“I am extremely grateful for your guidance and mentorship, especially during such times. It is always a pleasure to work with you. Thank you for being so supportive.”— Mentee
“Soumendra is well versed in AI/ML, Python, React JS, Elastic Search technologies. Key team Player with very good skill in debugging other teammates’ code. His documentation skill on git is very helpful for the entire team. widely known for his open source contributions.” — Senior Colleague
“Soumendra is a very passionate developer with in-depth technical skills. His coding standards and problem-solving techniques are amazing. He will be a true asset for whichever organization he works for.” — Senior Colleague
Hey Captain Cool, There are two quotes that i relate to you - "Respect is similar to Bournville. You have to earn it" "Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward" Working with you has always been a rich learning experience, especially the marathon sessions in debugging critical defects. I adore your ability to stay focused and see through a debugging process to its logical conclusion. Having witnessed your capabilities, I feel your tagline on slack, "I solve problems," is truly justified. Thanks much for all the support you have extended. Looking forward to learning more. Cheers!!! — Subordinate
To view more opinions from others, please visit Testimonials
Rewards and Recognitions
Outstanding Initiative Leadership Award
For leading exemplary initiative(s) resulting in a significantly positive impact on GTS business.
Offering Transformation Leadership Award
For demonstrating exemplary leadership in designing/developing/deploying key offering(s) for IBM clients.
Want to know more about my IBM journey, you can read from here.
I and IBM
I have joined IBM in December 2018 and recently bid farewell to the organization. This article is a tribute to my colleagues, IBM and my overall journey.
Soumendra Kumar Sahoo's profile on Credly
Credly is a global Open Badge platform that closes the gap between skills and opportunities. We work with academic institutions, corporations, and professional associations to translate learning outcomes into digital credentials that are immediately validated, managed, and shared.