Shaleen was my manager, mentor and still a good friend. Here are few of the learnings from him:
- Have faith on your subordinates.
- Give them full autonomy and if they are able to do what's needed, don't bother them with micro management.
- Praise and promote the good extracurricular activities by them.
- Maintain their achievements and improvements list. This will help while taking decisions in future. For e.g. when a new project/challenge arises, who is the most suitable person to carry out keeping other trade offs in mind.
- Stand up for the team. Don't get frustrated if a teammate doesn't show up. Have patience. Cover for them. If the event is important enough, remind them beforehand.
- If you ask humbly and request the high performers will do it.
- Appreciate team continuously. You're valued cause of your team only.
- Do your due diligence. Take ownership. Lead by example.
- Be a good human first.